ABOUT AVC E-LEARNINC CENTER
We beleive that education is a basic human right and a universal human value and should be made available forever.
Avicenna virtual center/ Salahaddin University-Erbil is supported by UNESCO for training for the coming year 2010 and 2015, so we plan to achieve and participate in all workshops and training and to do all activities related to e-learning programs and process in this field. The center was established on 2012 according to the partnership agreement between Salahaddin University and UNESCO office in Iraq.
Avicenna’s most famous works are those on philosophy and medicine. His philosophical views have engaged the attention of Western thinkers over several centuries, and his books have been among the most important sources in philosophy. Avicenna lived in the fourth century of the Islamic era, the most flourishing Abbasid period in respect of learning and knowledge, which stands in complete contrast to the political situation at that time. Named after Ibn Sina (981 – 1037 AD), the most famous philosopher of his time, as well as mathematician and astronomer, the AVICENNA VIRTUAL CAMPUS (AVC) is a network of e-learning Centers in 14 countries of the Mediterranean basin established by the European Union and UNESCO (2002 - 2006).
Avicenna Virtual Campus successfully built 14 e-learning Centers, a common virtual library, and an online quality control system, trained 1.000 teachers and tutors and has enabled more than 140.000 students to access online content. It is also interesting to note that specific activities were carried out in favor of blind students: 1.500 blind students benefited from e-learning opportunities and can access online courses. It should be noted that the extension of the AVC is one of UNESCOs Flagship projects for the medium term 2008 – 2013. The Executive Board and the General Conference of UNESCO also endorsed (2007) the extension of the Mediterranean AVC.
SUE AVC E-Learning Center
E- Learning is a Psychological Remedy for Virtual Society
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world" . Nelson Mandela
Towords promoting educational excellence in Kurdistan
Welcome to the AVC e-learning Center at SUE, which is one of the major academic center in the University, E-learning looks forward to excellence in education and teaching process, as well as to contribute to the development of AVC educational process services locally, regionally and even globally. The Center is seeking to achieve their aspirations through distinguished graduate experts on e-learning style teaching quality control. Enjoy your experience with distance learning. It will not replace the traditional classroom setting, but it provides extraordinary opportunities for students and lecturers. It also strives for providing a suitable research environment for various learning research fields and make room for graduate trainings and studies in all sciences.
Ladies & Gentemen
Good Morning/Evening from Erbil & Welcome to our SUE AVC E-Learning Center
SUE AVC E-Learning center is one of the most ambitios centers in Iraq and Kurdistan region.and now it is the focal point of the UNESCO VIRTUAL CAMPUS PROJECT in Iraq .
Introduction to SUE AVC E-Learning Center 1
Introduction to the Production of E-Leacture Using New Timesheet Technology
The SUE AVC responsiblity is to build the infrastructure of the future on line university by ;
- training the professors , lecturers of Salahaddin university and other public and private universities in Kurdistan on the technology of E-learning and E-Course production systemm standards .
- Qualifying and improving teachers skills and experience with the Pediogogical model(Sessions& Sequences) of the standard e-course.
- training the teachers and students about the how to apply the e-courses, materials, laboratories, quizez , examinatios , through the university website every where and at any time.
- Following the AQUAS Assurance Quality System of the produced e-courses in order to meet the total units of each course syllabus.
"The 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
The E-learning will offer ;
What is E-learning?
The use of Internet technologies to deliver a broad array of solutions that enhance knowledge and performance.
E-learning is Internet-enabled learning. Using the web to access and manage learning that supports universities and Institutions and companies objectives.
E-learning allows the delivery of updated information to learners at an accelerated pace, opening up new vistas of knowledge transfer.There is no going back. The traditional classroom has to be transformedWeb-based Education Commission, US. Many universities/colleges may not survive by the end of this decade.
AVICENNA VIRTUAL CAMPUS E-Learning Center Pillars
P1 – ORGANISATION of the Network.
P 2 – NETWORK AND TECHNOLOGY INFRASTRUTURE.
P 3 – EDUCATIONAL MODEL.
P 4 – LEGAL (Author's right & intellectual property).
P 5 – QUALITY ASSURANCE CONTROL SYSTEM .
In an on-line multimedia learning environment:
- teaching & learning is ‘one-to-one’ (individual)
- more interactivity (in normal classroom, it varies with the class size)
- Learner monitoring & grading system.
Truth of e-learning
Internet has started reshaping education. Education will not be the same in the next decade.
Benefits of E-Learning
- Central control of content.
- Same quality of content for all.
- Same quality of education for all.
Easier to understand & more engaging
As many times as you like
easier to monitor progress
less administrative work
can be more precise
Where to start?
Pen and paper
Use Kid pictures
Use MS Publisher
Use MS Powerpoint
Use creative writing
Regularly access the Internet
Students can navigate your Network
Students frequently use a Digital Camera
I.C.T. is formally taught to every student
Students manage the school Internet
Students and teachers use a wide range of CD ROM
Student can craft web pages
School website is current and reflects school culture
School website has educational value for students and the wider community
Students can use multi media
Teacher use the Intranet to display and initiate learning
Teachers can design web pages
Students submit learning using floppy, Network, Print format
Use selected software to source knowledge
Use the Internet to compliment learning outcomes
Use of personal web pages to link to a variety of program
E-learning / digital classroom
Teacher use the Intranet to initiate and measure learning
E Mail is a focal educational exchange medium
Students are able to manage and produce digitally edited movies
Multimedia visual literacy is a valued learning focus
Teachers can comfortably use digital multimedia to enhance learning
Activities of SUE AVC Center
-Provide training sessions to the teachers on the engineering production of the online courses.
-Provide training sessions for tutors and technical support and information for students;
- Manage and Maintain the Virtual Library;
- Develop relationships between the e-Learning centres of the regional network and also the centre is in charge for the development of the national virtual campus network.
- Develop scientific groups through the network.
- Organise national seminars and dissemination activities.
- Provide support for the handicapped students (Blind and Deaf students) .
The Objectives of Avicenna Virtual Campus in IRAQ:
The objectives of AVCI are part of the UNESCO programmes in science, higher education, teacher training and TVET.
The AVC in Iraq offers an opportunity for the development of:
• New methodological and pedagogical tools;
• Technology for education;
• Quality control system;
• Legal aspects related to the development of online courses.
These tools will improve the quality of the quality of the overall system of education in Iraq. They will also enable all stakeholders in education at different levels to develop and share educational resources using ICT and virtual concepts.
The main objectives of the AVC project in Iraq are:
• Capacity building of teachers on engineering of online course development;
• Large – scale teacher training;
• Development of high quality online courses;
• Building of educational virtual library.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of E-Learning
Nowadays, technology and science mastery has an important role in person’s success in each field.”Science without technology has no fruit; technology without science has no root”. It means that, science and technology can now be separated. They must be mastered by people. One of the ways to master them is through education side. Education as a way to develop science and technology has relationship with knowledge progress. The variety of education is approaching and tools are developing fast. It is caused by the characteristic of learners. One of education method that claimed appropriate and useful to follow science and technology development is E-learning.
E-learning comes from “electronic” and “learning” words. It is learning with a computer where you learn in a learning environment, connected with your teacher with a learning environment. Mostly an e-Learning course is a self study course. Basically it is a learning method that is facilitated and supported via information and communication technology (ICT). It has several definitions; “learning that is enabled or supported by the use of digital tools and content. It typically involves some forms of interactivity, which may include on-line interaction between the learner and their teacher or peers. E-learning opportunities are usually accessed via the internet, though other technologies such as CD-ROM are also used.”
Based on the definitions above, we can conclude that E-learning is an educational process which is conducted and supported by digital educational material usage. In teaching and learning process, there is on-line interaction between teacher and students even with their friends. Besides it, e-learning concept needs the variety of design and format. They are distance learning, Computer Based Training (CBT), Web Based Training (WBT), and Internet Based Training (IBT).
E-Learning, like anything else in the universe, has advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages of E-learning are:
1.Class can be scheduled based on personal needs
2.It can reduce transport cost, and it is also very time efficient.
3. Learners have the chances to select the materials that suit their interest and level of knowledge.
4. Learners can study wherever they have access of computer/internet.
5. Learners and teachers have convenience and flexibility in teaching and learning process.
6. Teaching and learning process can be more effective and efficient.
7. It can make education more efficient without compromising quality.
8. It can improve personal quality or institution in a competitive environment.
The disadvantages of E-learning are:
1. In e-learning, the role of teacher in real interaction in the classroom is significantly reduced and becomes unimportant.
2. Unmotivated learners and those who have poor learning habits may fall behind because of lack of control from instructors.
3. Students may feel isolated due to no social interaction.
4. Unmotivated learners or those with poor study habits may fall behind.
5. Lack of familiar structure and routine may take getting used to.
6. Students may feel isolated or miss social interaction.
7. Instructors may not always be available on demand.
8. Slow or unreliable Internet connections can be frustrating.
9. Managing learning software can involve a learning curve.
10. Some courses such as traditional hands-on courses can be difficult to simulate.
Editted & published by Assisst. Prof.Dr.Ismail Musa Murad & Prof.Dr.Qaysar Salih Mahdi/17/8/2015